An Interview With Shilpa Reddy

For a sprightly young girl growing up in a conservative family, the very thought of talking up modeling as a career could be a 'sin'. But, when such a stray thought becomes a consuming passion and the dainty dame steels herself to meet challenges at home and elsewhere, the barriers break down at breakneck speed. Shilpa Reddy, the model who has graced kingfisher calendar, is made of precisely such stuff. CineGoer.com spoke to the beauty who now offers her services to further social causes as well.These days you don't seem to be active on the ramp. Why is it so?In general, I have limited my activities. I have done enough shows. I need to spare time for my family now.
When a model like you is not seen often on the ramp a lot of questions arise? What do you say?Yes, of course. But, my case is different. I have chosen to restrict myself to photo shoots.Only ramp walk can keep you rich, busy and famous. Isn't it?Being rich has never been my priority. I have never done anything solely for the purpose of making money. Being somebody and something special among the crowds is my chief aim. Ramp walk is actually the initial step for a model. I have seen enough of that prosperity. Moreover, it involves a lot of strain and takes time. A photo shoot takes hardly a day or two.How would you describe the transformation of Shilpa into a 'Shilpam' of the modeling world?Oh….it's been a long journey on the longest way. I was born and brought up in secunderbad. Our family comprises five members: one elder sister, one younger brother, me, my dad Jeevith Reddy and mom Jaya Reddy. Ours is a conservative family. Nobody in the family and in our circle to break barriers. Right from childhood I have been different. I believe that I am special.What triggered you to think that you are special?It happened at school when I was in my X Standard. I casually gave my name for an elocution contest. Most of the participants failed to wow the audience. But everybody appreciated my non-stop five-minute speech. It was a pleasant surprise to me, that incident gave me the motivation to bag all key posts and helped me reorder my priorities. I became the class leader, sports team leader and so on. The same year I was selected as the "Beauty Queen of the School."All the 'Fun and Run' started when I was doing intermediate. I was selected as 'Miss Kasthurbha,' and with increased confidence I applied for 'Miss Andhra 98'. At that point of time, there was a real fight in my family, with my father standing as a big 'villain' on my way. He initially shouted a big 'No,' but later reluctantly accepted my proposal.I became 'Miss Andhra 98', that was the turning point in my life. Soon many offers from modeling and cinema fields came stood as a wall. This time he was very stubborn. Some of our relatives instigated him. They asked him how a person belonging to the 'Reddy Community' could send his daughter to beauty contests. I felt awful. I screamed 'Oh God! Why was I born in this conservative family? I wept a lot. I strongly felt that my parents were suppressing my ambitions, dreams and goals. But I was helpless.How did you manage to have your way finally?After Intermediate, I joined B.Com. I was convinced that I need to keep on hold my ambitions and dreams for at least three years. Apart from my college books, I started reading many books related to human psychology, history, personality development and the like. I gained a lot of knowledge about human relations, leadership qualities, event management etc. While pursuing my degree, I joined the J.D. Institute of Fashion Tech.I completed both B.Com and Fashion Technology course simultaneously. My parents then began a vigorous search for a 'match' so as to see me married and 'settled' in life. But I was keen on something special and great. With the help of a friend in Canada I applied for Fashion Designing and Merchandising Course in Toronto. I got the seat. Again there was a big conflict between me and father. "At any cost, I won't allow" he roared. "By hook or crook I must go," I responded. After many discussion, debates and consultations, my dad said, "OK, let the visa come." But to his shock, I got the visa the very next day. He was al a loss for words to say 'No'. My mum told my dad that I had become unstoppable. That's how I flew to Canada –to make my dream come true.
What next?My three-year stint at Toronto brought a big change in my life. In particular, I learnt three things: dignity of labour, punctually and maintaining good interpersonal relations. Apart from studies, I started working in a restaurant to meet my needs. Mind you, my parents could afford to send me money, but I chose to be on my own. I used to attend all the regional fashion shows.Once I contested for 'Miss India' conducted exclusively for women if Indian origin and I won the title. It gave me immense boost to my self-confidence. Just when I was preparing for the Miss India contest, my mother sent me photographs and details of some guys, saying one of them could be the right match for me.Initially I rejected many guys. But, when I talked to preetham Reddy I didn't find a strong person to say 'no'. He was in the US for more than seven years and had returned to India to get married. I was very much impressed by the way he spoke to me. He didn't impose any sort of conditions, nor did he dictate terms to me. He said that he will wait till I complete the Miss India competition. Moreover, he helped me a lot in that regard. But my conscience didn't permit me to keep a person waiting for me. If not at Miss India contest, there is Mrs. India contest in which I can shine. So I convinced myself and came down to India to get married to Preetham Reddy. We got married on December 8, 2003.Not all women entrepreneurs are lucky enough to be encouraged by their hubbies. How come Preetham Reddy supports you in a field like modeling?He is very positive and receptive. After marriage, mutual confidence and understanding play a vital role between the two. As far as my hubby is concerned, he is a gem. Against the expectations of our relatives and community people, he encouraged me a lot to contest for Mrs. India. It was he who supported me to become Mrs. India. He is quite different from typical narrow-minded Indian husbands. Because of such whole heartedness. I adore him. I never fight with him for anything, but I make him understand my aims and goals. To be frank, I am not even 20% percent of his genius.How did things move after Mrs. India?Offers from modeling and cinema fields were in queue. But I never considered the film field. In that field, people's expectations and motivations are quiet different. So I opted for modeling.Any other reason for not accepting filmi offers?Modeling is a profession in which I can be choosy. Here, timings and choices are mine. That's not possible in the film field.How many shows have you done so far? Can you name the big name?I haven't kept count, but I have done many shows. I have done shows for all the top designers of Indian fashion world. They include Manish Malhotra, sabyasachi, Neetha Lulla, Rajesh Pratap, Khosla, Tarun Tahilani, Anand and so many others.Still, you gave up ramp walk. Why?I have already told you why I am now working only for photo shoots. It's very prestigious to appear on the Kingfisher calendar. I feel proud about the assignment.What else do you do keep yourself busy?I am practicing Karnatic and Hindustani music. I am also learning to skate. Now I have got the time to do all the things that I could not do in my childhood.You come from a conservative family. You have achieved a lot against odds. Do you think your approach is the best option for Indian girls?It depends on individuals who have aims. My case is altogether different. My parents were half willing to let me pursue my aims and goals. Maybe, they were right from a different standpoint. I know that breaking barriers is not equal to breaking your traditions or values. I am a perfect blending of both western and Indian styles of living.Do you think your success is a fitting reply to your parents?My God! Taking revenges and thinking negative about parents is unhealthy. After all, parents are the real well wishers of children. If I look back, I do feel very sorry for the tension I caused to my parents, especially my dad. I was sandwiched between the daughter and the 'Reddy community' pressures. Now as a grown-up- lady, I feel that his feelings were quite right.'Modeling and cinema' fields are similar when it comes to attitudes towards the women who want to make it big. In both the fields women are often treated as a commodity. What's your opinion?Such opinions are 90% true. But it is the case everywhere. That's the reason why parents are reluctant to send their daughters especially to these two fields. Girls who aspire to attain a position in these fields should create confidence in the minds of their parents. When I was trying to climb the ladder of success in my field, my parents worried about my security but not my character. One needs to be very stubborn and self-confident. One needs to be 'carefully careless' and 'carelessly carefully'. From my experience, I can tell you confidently that it's not that easy for everybody to shine and succeed in the modeling field. I think girls should try this field only when they have a vision, self-confidence and proper presentation skills.How you are planning to spend the rest of your life?Now I have associated myself with a social organization called 'Roshini,' being run by my aunt Sashikala Reddy. They conduct seminars to create awareness about population and other social issues. I will do my best for society. I welcome some good causes where my services can be utilized.Shilpaji, what do you like in yourself?(with a smile) I believe that I have so many good qualities. First of all, I am very approachable and friendly. I easily forget and forgive negative things and negative thinking people. I always wear a smiling face. Another great quality I posses is that I am an animal lover.So, you are following in the footsteps of Amala.Oh! Amala… she is really great in that respect. She is doing a great service to poor animals. I am not that dedicated. But I do have an ambition to do some good to the animal world.